Comprehension reading is all about helping a child understand the complete meaning of a text. Through, this act of comprehending a text, a child comes to learn how to make correct use of strategies during, before and after the reading process.
Some instructional guidelines to help children to deal with comprehension worksheets:
- The students should know how to make use of their background knowledge in relation to the topic that they are reading.
- The students should also have specialized vocabulary according to the topic that they are dealing with.
- They should know why they are reading that particular topic.
- The students with the help of a strategy should know how to screen and think about the topic they are reading.
When they read:
- When the students read they should constantly question themselves for a proper understanding of the text.
- The students can also make use of graphic organizers and study guides to apprehend the best meaning of the text.
After they have read
Self-questioning is very essential when dealing with comprehension worksheets and after the reading has been done it would be best if the students can summarize and relate the entire details that they have learned.
Comprehension reading also involves the use of videos and activities. Watching a video even before you start with the topic is surely going to help your child a lot. This also gives a boost to your child’s interest in dealing with comprehension worksheets.
One thing you should keep in mind is that your skill and success in comprehension reading is sure to benefit you in the long run. For the norms, you come to learn in the process can always be used in the proper and systematic understanding of more critical passages and texts. In short, with comprehension worksheets your child becomes an able reader and develops the ability of understanding a text better.